Midsommar (Review) ☕️💐 And Why Florence Pugh WON 2019
I… I have zero words. The best I can come up with is that Florence Pugh gave THE BEST PERFORMANCE OF 2019.
I... I was planning on writing a big review for this, but I was quite literally speechless after the movie ended.
So, I’m going straight into
Here's What I Know...
• Florence Pugh is a dream, and she should be nominated for an Oscar, but unfortunately won't be. Feels similar to Toni Collette in Hereditary. SHOULD be nominated, but it's probably not gonna happen.
• Bobby Krlic's score is deafeningly haunting.
• Florence Pugh showed grief better than any actor I have ever seen in my life. That includes film, television AND theater. As someone who has experienced grief first hand, what Florence Pugh was able to give, looked & sounded like what I experienced. If I’m being honest, THAT was the hardest part of the film for me to watch. If I remember one scene from this film, it’s this one in the beginning.
• Pawel Pogorzelski's cinematography is perfect, and gave us some of the most gorgeous shots of the year.
• Give Florence Pugh every award possible.
• Ari Aster. You are a scary human, and I cannot imagine what goes on inside your head.
• Florence Pugh is an actual genius.
Why Florence Pugh WON 2019
Has anyone had a better year than Florence Pugh this year?
To start off, she was absolutely BRILLIANT in WWE Studios’, Fighting With My Family, which was released on Valentine’s Day, February 14th.. This tells the story of how Saraya (who eventually becomes Paige) & her brother, Zak (Jack Lowden) being given the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to try out for WWE. But when only Paige gets the spot, she has to leave Zak, and the rest of her family behind. And yes, most people probably brushed this film off, and just thought it was a fun WWE Studios movie, well those people would be mistaken. I’ve been watching WWE since I was 5 years old, and Paige was my favorite female wrestler when she was in her prime. So when I found out that her story was being made into a motion picture, I was very excited. Not only did she exceed every expectation I could’ve possibly had, the movie itself was fantastic!
So… she started the year 1 for 1.
Then she did Midsommar… and if you read any of what I said above, you know how I feel about her in this.
So… she’s now 2 for 2
And next up, Greta Gerwig’s highly anticipated Little Women. I already have this film in my Top 10 for Best Picture, so I think we can expect some pretty incredible things. And if that’s not enough to convince you, let’s just list this cast really quickly… Saoirse Ronan, Emma Watson, Eliza Scanlen, Florence Pugh, Laura Dern, Meryl Streep, Timothée Chalamet, James Norton, Louis Garrel, Bob Odenkirk and Chris Cooper.
Yep. All while under the direction of Lady Bird’s, Greta Gerwig. I. Can’t. Wait.
I don’t see a world where this film, and Ms. Pugh don’t go 3 for 3.
Long story short, Florence Pugh is a genius, and keep watching her work. If she continues on the path she’s on, I think we could see one of the greatest living actors.